Saturday, October 9, 2010

Updates: Three at a time

The 1941 Cajun Macaroons really DO taste better on day three. The 1942 Honey Refrigerator Cookies are "ripening" in the fridge for another day. The 1943 Scotch Oat Crunchies were as delightful to eat as they were frustrating to make.

I thought I was imagining things when I had one of the precious few remaining macaroons after lunch today, but all the home team testers agreed with me - They DO get better with age. Unfortunately they're all gone so we'll never know how good they might have been on day four.  

Having learned the virtue of patience, I left the Honey Cookies in the fridge for a second day and will slice and bake those tomorrow. 

I turned instead to the Scotch Oat Crunchies (1943) and nearly met my match. The ingredients were simple enough:


But then I had to decide how to refrigerate the dough. The only wet ingredients are butter and water so this is some really slippery stuff. It needs to be rolled out to 1/8" after chilling, so it needs to solidify through and through. I divided it into fourths, scooped that onto waxed paper, and flattened each disk. 

 
Rolling these babies out was really maddening. The dough sticks to everything, and too much flour will toughen up the final cookies too much. Rolling out between two pieces of waxed paper worked well, but getting the cut round pieces onto a baking sheet was nearly impossible. 

All that said, they were truly delightful to eat. I dressed up the first batch with jam filling and the home team testers gave them two thumbs up.  The second batch were served to a visiting team of testers with three jam jars and spoons. The kids and adults all enjoyed spooning their own filling and there's not a single crumb left.


Tomorrow is a Weight Watchers weigh-in day. Remember that I'm trying to lose those 60 pounds, right? I'm skeptical that I'll be really proud of my results this week, but I had a healthy lunch and dinner and am below my point allowances for the week. WW talks about BLTs: bites, licks, and tastes. I had a lot of BLTs today while working with the Scotch Oat Crunchies. Butter + Sugar + Flour = Yummy Goodness Stuck to Your Fingers. 

I must exercise tomorrow. And then bake those Honey Cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment