Saturday, October 30, 2010

Moravian Cookies are a Keeper

The picture doesn't capture how amazingly thin I managed to roll these. The Cookie Book recommends 1/16" and I was nearly there. 

I got out a ruler and measured. I'm like that. 

They are indeed yummy and hard to describe. The flavors just aren't what we're used to in Betty Crocker Cookieland. 

Sherry is super sweet, but also has a sort of sassy kick. It's not sweet like whiskey or amaretto, it has a little more depth of flavor. The cinnamon/nutmeg combo just makes you think "apple pie", but these taste nothing like apple pie. So the cookie tastes interesting and unpredictable, and that makes you want to eat a few more while your mouth  figures out the flavors. 

In the oven they behaved like a two year old - they required constant attention. I kid you not, they could go from looking slightly undercooked to completely brown in 30 seconds. I overcooked two baking trays of cookies before I got the hang of it, but I saved those because they're still good with a cup of coffee. 

The original recipe left the cookies unfrosted, and I understand why the 2010 editors added frosting. They're really plain looking unfrosted. I still have some dough in the fridge and am thinking a simple powdered sugar glaze with colored sugar might be enough to dress the up. Or maybe even a simple egg wash before they go in the oven. The cookies can stand on their own taste wise - and they might even be better without the complication of icing - but they could stand a little spit and polish before serving. 

All in all, a keeper of a cookie. I'll make these again gladly. 

2 comments:

  1. Moravian White Christmas Cookies sounds so sophisticated. Love that you turned them in to pumpkins for Halloween! Can we request a picture of the lil'guy dressed up and eating one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so as I sit here looking over all of this I realize as I write I forgot how I found it. Good for you for moving in a positive direction for yourself. Call me when you want to walk, if I am not hitting the gym I will walk with you. Right now work aholic syndrom has set in again, but after 11/6 I will be good to go with my time off again. Anyhow, great to see you moving, so to speak......call me when the next batch comes out of the oven....LOL

    ReplyDelete