Wednesday, October 13, 2010

There's no such thing as too much flour

The Cinnamon Sugar Crisp dough is approximately 55% butter, 44% molasses, and 1% flour, so this is another dough that must be refrigerated before (and sometimes during) handling. Really, it works better if you just slip it into the freezer and bypass the fridge altogether. The book won't tell you that though. I'm your baking BFF.

I learned tonight, while rolling out this fragile and incredibly sticky dough, that There is No Such Thing As Too Much Flour: 


I also realized that I don't make a lot of cookies that need to be rolled and handled delicately. This is a stretch for me, and it's probably a good one to make since my son LOVES cookie cutters and all the shenanigans that go along with them. I cringe every Christmas when we pull the cutters out, but with all this practice I'll have a whole new bag 'o tricks next time.

I made three sizes of cookies: medium hearts, small hearts and in-betweenish circles. I think the smaller shapes do the cookie right. The larger shapes will get too crisp by the time they're cooked through and through.


Small hearts ready to go in the oven

Medium hearts around a small circle
Yet again, The Editors warned me that these improve with age, and man-oh-man can I already taste that happening. The flavor changes dramatically as they cool, and then again as they lay around on the kitchen counter before you get your lazy act together and put them in something airtight for the evening.

Saving cookies for later is an entirely new and not altogether unpleasant experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment