Friday, October 22, 2010

Baking Detour - Breads

I've been channeling my creative energies this week into (1) knitting in front of the TV while my family watches baseball and (2) baking bread. 

If you own one book about bread, it should be this one. Yes, I want you to click the link and visit their site. Buy the book. Read the book. Love the book. Bake the bread. You won't regret it. 

Here is the challah: 


And here is the buttermilk bread: 


Tomorrow is cookie day, and probably more bread. I'm visiting my uncle on Sunday and want to take a lot of goodies. He loves peanut butter, so I have Betty Crocker's version of PB cookies chilling in the fridge. He also loves oatmeal, so I will make the classic Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies. I'll make some bread, not sure which loaf. Maybe both. He's ill and not eating a lot at the moment. I know these aren't spectacular choices nutrition-wise, but I'm going for high-calorie at this point. Eating anything is better than eating nothing. At least for now. 

I'll pick up with the Gourmet Cookie Book next week. My son is excited about the Moravian Christmas Cookies (1946) because they involve cookie cutters and icing. He's an easy man to please.

No comments:

Post a Comment