Friday, October 8, 2010

Simplicity


One last note from 1941's Cookie of the Year: here are all the ingredients required for Cajun Macaroons. Five simple items. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy, as my son says.

I've started the second recipe, Honey Refrigerator Cookies from June 1942, but the author instructs me to "allow the dough to ripen for a day or two in the refrigerator." 

While we wait, I'll collect the ingredients for number three, Scotch Oat Crunchies from January 1943. They, too, need to chill in the fridge for a while, at least overnight.

I can't believe how much time is required to make and sufficiently enjoy these treats. There's a Weight Watchers lesson in here somewhere for me. Can you say delayed gratification?  Scotch Oat Crunchies will "last indefinitely in a cool, dry place" according to the original baker. Seriously? In whose house do cookies sit around uneaten? Certainly not mine.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I got into this mess in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment