Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cookie Challenge Detour: The Wookie

Wookie = Wedding + Cookie

My colleague is getting married in January (1/1/11, how cool is that?) and she doesn't like cake. She doesn't want wedding cake, she wants wedding cookie. And thus the Wookie was invented. 

There are several enticing examples online of cookie cakes, and all seem to be variations of the original Martha Stewart example. The bride-to-be (B2B, henceforth) wants something more traditional looking, so we began brainstorming. 

Below you will see Wookie #2 (W2, henceforth, because I'm in the mood). This is the second prototype in the Wookie Experiment. W2 has Blondie's for the chocolate chip cookie layers. (W1 had traditional cookie dough.) W2 also has an experimental frosting between layers and on the surface. (W1 had fudge between the layers and was naked outside. It was the first prototype. I was going for proof-of-concept, not pretty.)

The consensus was that the Blondie layers are a go for the final product. Between layers we will go with fudge rather than frosting. And the frosting tasted OK. The B2B doesn't like frosting too very much. But she wants a traditional-looking thing to slice on The Big Day, so we're experimenting with frosting. This one was made with butter, sweetened condensed milk, and powdered sugar. It tasted OK (per the B2B), but it was pretty dense. I might try whipping powdered egg whites into it next time to fluff it up a bit. Thank goodness the B2B is an egg-OK vegetarian and not a full blown vegan. 

Again, let me stress that this is a prototype. I was experimenting with taste and flavor, not appearance. I will beautify the Wookie between now and January. The photos are goofy, and by goofy I mean kind of ugly. But there is serious deliciousness in the Wookie. I hope you love it as much as we do. 





Yes, that's a vintage Albertson's plastic cake knife. I swiped that collectors item from the staff lounge. The money shot is below. The Wookie looks downright sexy:




And yes, I did run out of frosting. Thanks for noticing.



No comments:

Post a Comment